By Nixie Strazza
Lounging poolside isn’t complete without a cocktail or a cool drink. Some occasions call for more than just a can of your favorite Island lager — it’s fun to spice it up with extra mix-ins. Our crisp, clean beer is a base for endless flavor combinations and these three summer cocktails are a few of our favorites.
Round up your friends and find your own cabana close to home with a Chile-Salt Actilada, Lemon Shandy or Pineapple Punch!
With the savory notes of a Bloody Mary and a Margarita-esque hint of lime, an Actilada (play off of the original Michelada) provides the perfect balance of acid and heat. Typically made using a light Mexican beer, Island Active Lime easily carries the distinct flavors of Worcestershire, cayenne pepper and a dash of hot sauce that bring this drink to life. Bon Appétit recommends rolling the rim of your glass in chili-lime salt to add an extra kick.
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice
- 2 dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces Island Active Lime
- Lime, for garnish
- Mix salt and cayenne on a small plate. Moisten rim of a pint glass and press into chile salt to lightly coat.
- Combine lime juice, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce in glass. Partly fill glass with ice and top with Island Active Lime. Stir gently to mix. Garnish with lime wedge.
There’s nothing simpler than a Lemon Shandy on a summer afternoon. With a ratio of one part beer to one part lemonade, mixing this drink couldn’t be easier. Use Island Lemonada to amp up the flavor or stay true to the classic recipe with Island Lager or our Active brew. Fizzy lemon sodas or Sprite also complement a light lager. Spruce it up with a lemon wedge or fresh mint for easy sipping.
- 12 ounces of homemade lemonade for every 12 ounce can of Island Lemonada
- Lemon, for garnish
- Add lemonade and beer to a glass and stir gently to combine. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
It’s not a party without punch and our tropical rendition will transport you to your own island paradise. Lighter than a pina colada and much easier to assemble, this punch requires only a few ingredients in five minutes time. Stir together ginger ale, pineapple juice and your Island drink of choice with plenty of ice and fresh cut pineapple. Justine at Cooking and Beer makes hers even more decadent with a scoop of pineapple sorbet on top.
- 2 liter bottle ginger ale
- 1 liter pineapple juice
- 2-3 cans Island Coastal Lager
- 1 pineapple chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Pineapple sorbet or sherbet (optional)
- To a larger pitcher, add ice, combine ginger ale, pineapple juice, beer and pineapple pieces (reserving a couple of pieces for garnish) and stir to combine.
- Dollop scoops of pineapple sorbet or sherbet on top.
- Serve immediately with pineapple garnish.