Homefed Friday: Beer-Battered Fish Sandwich
Welcome to Homefed Friday! A weekly blog and video series starring beer-inspired recipes. To kick things off, what's more on brand for Island than a beer-battered fish sandwich? If you're a visual learner, here's a TikTok to follow along with!
BEER-BATTERED FISH SANDWICH
- 4 skinless cod fillets
- 4 brioche rolls
- 4 round bibb lettuce leaves
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-3 gherkin pickles, chopped + a few splashes of brine
- 1 tbsp of capers, chopped
- A few sprigs of dill, chopped
- ¼ cup of Duke's Mayo
- 1 cup of self-rising flour, plus 1 tbsp set aside for dusting fish
- ⅓ cup corn starch
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp of salt
- 12 oz can of Island Coastal Lager (cold)
- Oil for deep frying such as safflower, peanut or avocado oil
- Pickled Onions: Thinly slice ½ of a red onion and quick-pickle the onion with a ½ tsp of salt and 2 tbsp of malt vinegar.
- Tartar Sauce: Finely chop gherkin pickles, capers and dill, mix in Duke's Mayo and a few splashes of pickle brine juice and set aside.
- Fish Batter: Mix the flour, cornstarch, turmeric, cayenne and salt into a bowl, then pour Island Coastal Lager in. Mix quickly until it forms a thick consistency – don't overmix, a few lumps are fine. Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat oil in a large wide cast iron or wok like pan (use less oil for light frying or more oil for deep frying), the oil is hot enough when a drizzle of batter crisps in less than a minute.
- Working quickly, season the fish with salt, then dust with flour before dredging through the batter, let excess batter drip back in bowl, then carefully place in pan with heated oil, fry two filets at a time, two minutes each side, until golden and crisp, place filets onto a plate lined with a paper towel. Repeat the frying process with the remaining two filets.
- To assemble sandwich, split each roll and spread both the top and bottom generously with tartar sauce. Place fish filet, lettuce, sliced tomato and pickled onions on the bottom half of the bun, add top half of the bun and ENJOY!